Alias: Mía Maestro
Argentine actress Mia Maestro has accrued a selection of
impressive film credits since she made her screen debut in
Carlos Saura's Tango, which received Golden Globe and Academy
She recently completed work alongside Lucas Black on the
independent feature Deepwater for director David Marfield.
Her film credits to date include Miramax's Frida, directed
by Julie Taymor, where she starred with Salma Hayek, Alfred
Molina and Geoffrey Rush; Mike Figgis' Timecode, starring
Stellan Skarsgaard, Holly Hunter and Saffron Burrows; Hotel,
featuring Chiara Mastroianni and Danny Huston; and HBO's For
Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story, where she starred
opposite Andy Garcia.
Maestro's Latin American projects include Secuestro Express,
directed by Venezuelan director Jonathan Jakubowicz, and two
films that were in competition at the 57th Cannes Film Festival
La Nina Santa (The Holy Girl), directed by Lucrecia
Martel, and The Motorcycle Diaries, based on the journals
of Che Guevara, leader of the Cuban Revolution, for director
Walter Salles, starring opposite Gael Garcia Bernal.
Initially trained in Argentina, Maestro moved to Berlin at
the age of 18 to develop a vocal repertoire -- in German --
of the works of Kurt Weill and Hans Eisler, which added to
her already rigorous schedule of vocal, dance and music classes.
Her experience in Berlin both inside and outside of school
gave her a renewed spirit and confidence that translated into
several noteworthy dramatic performances when she returned
to Buenos Aires. Her first proper acting run was a professional
one, in a Carlo Goldoni commedia dell'arte, and by 1998 she
secured the coveted role of Lulu in Wedekind's Pandora's Box
at the San Martin Theater. For this she garnered an Ace Award
for Best New Artist of the Year.
Maestro currently resides in Los Angeles.
- Mantenidas sin sueños, La (2004) (in production)
- Deepwater (2004) (post-production) .... Iris
- Secuestro express (2004) (post-production) .... Carla
- Motorcycle Diaries, The (2004) .... Chichina Ferreyra
- Four Lean Hounds (2003) .... Kay
- Frida (2002) .... Cristina Kahlo
- In the Time of the Butterflies (2001) (TV) .... Mate
- Hotel (2001) .... Cariola
- Astillero, El (2000) .... Mujer
- Picking Up the Pieces (2000) .... Carla
- Timecode (2000) .... Ana Pauls
- Venice Project, The (1999) .... Danilla
- Tango (1998) .... Elena Flores
- For Love or Country: The Arturo Sandoval Story (2000)
(TV) .... Marianela
(Information compiled from IMDB.com.)